Thursday, June 10, 2010

♫ We’re strictly tourist and we couldn’t care less! ♫

Okay, this is the journal I forgot to write a couple weeks ago about our last two days in Paris before the bus trip…

Saturday, May 29

After class I went shopping for a couple things for my roommate, and then we headed to the flea market! It was part of one of the walks, but it was an optional walk, so we didn't formally do it. We just walked around the flea market. Some of the stuff was really cool there! I bought a couple souvenirs at a really good price! We walked around the antiques part of the flea market and saw a couple really insane chandeliers… And that was about it. Oh, the vendors were ridiculous! Especially the ones walking around. They were worse than flies! Never leave you alone. Lol. And the other vendors did anything and everything to get you to come into their store and buy something.

Then Paris and I went to the Musée d'Orsay. I'm not gonna lie, it wasn't really my favorite. I'm just a classical art-lover. But we got in free and didn't have to pay nine euro! That was happy. I love it when they do that. :) In the Musée d'Orsay, I just felt like there was a lot more artwork where they tried to be lewd and disrespectful…. The impressionist paintings were pretty cool, though. And some of the statues (which were more classical style). Although….a lot of the statues showed people lying on the ground dead. I don't really get why they liked sculpting dead people so much. I did like the Jeanne d'Arc statue, though. That one was really pretty (and she wasn't dying, lol.)

Then Paris and I parted ways and I headed back to the Louvre. I saw some sculptures we missed last time and I went through the Italian Painting gallery again. I sat in front of a Raphael Madonna and Child painting and wrote in my journal for a while. I love the Louvre. That's my kind of art. Someday I want to go back and arrive at the Louvre right when it opens and stay until it closes, just walking through the sculpture gardens, sitting in the paintings gallery, going through the Egyptian section. I'd love to walk through and not be worried about seeing as much as possible. I just want to completely enjoy the experience.

Oh, I found out the name of one of my favorite paintings! Le Sommeil de l'Enfant by….somebody whose initials are B.L. I wrote the name down in my little green book. Lol. It's such a beautiful painting….

I was a little surprised that the Louvre closed at 6 p.m. on Saturdays! That seems so early…. No matter. I went back to the Devarennes' and did stuff in my room. They were having a big dinner party that night, which sounded like lots of fun, but I didn't appreciate the added smoke. Lol.

Sunday, May 30

I think this day was supposed to be a stake conference, but it was a strange one! Lol. Because they divided the young single adults from the regular wards. So we had our own Relief Society, Sunday School, and Sacrament Meeting, all the young people. It was funny. Lol. And made for a really long meeting! We were at church for four hours! Plus a long time after, because they had a lunch afterward. We ate sloppy joes. Lol. Which was funny, being in France. That seems like such an American food.

Paris and I left shortly after finishing our meal so we could go pack for the bus trip. It was so weird putting all of my stuff back into the suitcase! And taking a shower in the bathtub for the last time!

Dinner was lamb and fries. The lamb was a little too done because Madam Devarenne got distracted. Lol. That's so her! Afterward we took pictures with the Devarennes and they gave us parting gifts, which was so sweet of them! I'm going to miss them a lot. They were so much fun to be around! I hope the next time I come back to Paris, I can get in touch with them…

No comments:

Post a Comment