Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Au revoir, Paris!

Saturday we boarded our last autocar for the airport with all our luggage to start the last leg of our France adventure in Nice. I was so excited! Not because we were going to the beach, but because it meant there was only a week left until I got to see Jeff and my family!

Don't get me wrong. I've loved France. It's been an awesome experience for me and brought me huge blessings I almost didn't think possible. I've enjoyed myself. But sometimes you just miss American home-cooked meals, sleeping in your own bed, seeing the people you love, refrigerated cheese that doesn't make you sick.

On the flip side, there are definitely things that I'm going to miss about France. Bread that is so fresh and so delicious, to-die-for pastries, castles, class with Professor Le Bras and Professor Erickson, apple sauce pouches, the Devarennes, eating lunch in the Champs de Mars by the Eiffel Tower, cookies, Pago.

We got to the airport way early. Lol. So we had a long time to wait before our flight. Going through security was weird though! They didn't have you take off your shoes. Lol. But they went through my stuffed backpack! :P That was so annoying. Lol. Oh well. At least I didn't get the pat-down like Paris. Lol.

Funny thing about the trip, two people from our group lost their passports! The first one dropped his when we were walking to the gate, and there was a huge mess with the airport trying to find it. Luckily they found it before we boarded! Lol. Then a girl left her passport on the plane! And she didn't realize it until we were at the baggage claim waiting for our luggage and talking about Richard losing his passport. Lol. Oh, man.

The residence we're staying at is only 10 minutes from the airport. It's…ok. Lol. You have to pay for every little thing, though! Ugh. You had to pay eight euros for towels! Insanity! It's nice to have our own kitchen, though. And the bathroom isn't too bad. But the carpets are…..non-existent. Lol. It's not a carpet, it's a straw mat! Lol. The entire apartment except for the kitchen is covered with hard, scratchy straw stuff. And it's so dirty! If you walk across it a couple times with bare feet after a shower, your feet get black! The beds are okay….about the same as every other bed. Good thing that I've been exhausted every night, so I fall right asleep. Lol.

Nice is beautiful. J And so colorful! The flowers around the residence are the most brilliant shades of pink and purple. All the houses are yellow and orange with bright window shutters and roofs. The water is so blue, too! The only unfortunate thing is that the beaches are all rocky. Only pebbles, no sand.

Right after settling in at the residence, most of the group headed to the beach. It was fun to just relax, but I realized something after getting back from the beach. I'm not really a beach person. Like…going to the beach is fun one day, but after that I'm good with not going back for a couple months. Lol. I prefer the sight-seeing vacations, especially castles. Lol. I think one of my favorite parts of this trip is going to be the bus tour, definitely not Nice. Besides the castles, I loved seeing the little villages surrounding the castles. J Those are my favorite.

Oh, the other dumb thing about the residence is that internet costs 15 euro! :P For a week. Oh, well. I haven't spent that much this trip, so it wasn't terrible. But I can't even access it in my room. Lol. I have to go down to the lobby to get internet. Lame… (As Paris would say.)

But I'm surviving. J It will be a great last week, and then home! J

No comments:

Post a Comment